plasterboard coming away with skirting - how to repair?
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
vortice
Labourer
Labourer

plasterboard coming away with skirting - how to repair?

by vortice » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:33 pm

No matter how carefully i remove the old skirting, the plasterboard comes away with it or breaks, or is damaged and flakes when i prize the skirting away.

How do I repair it before fixing new skirting?

Thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

repair wall

by welsh brickie » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:40 am

thats sounds quite a problem you got there.
if its small sections I would fit the new skirting and replaster where
nessasary.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:03 pm

vortice,
I'm presuming that this wall is dot'n'dab, and that is why the plasterboard is coming away with skirts or the problem could be that the skirts have been glued on, as this is becoming more popular (not my favourite method) as this does cause this problem to happen!
So it's a case or damage limitations, i'd cut board along line of skirt top with stanley so when you remove skirts, that is the only part of board coming away, then repair by plastering or re boarding (dot'n'dab method) and filling out with plaster or filler before fixing new skirts. If the new skirting is higher than the old, it will hide any uglies!
Watch out for electric cables in wall when make the cut!
Regards
KB

vortice
Labourer
Labourer

by vortice » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:32 pm

KB,

Thanks for the advice. I think a combination of nails and glue has been used, but it is taking so much persuasion to remove it that even being careful, it is too much for the plasterboard. In places, enough plaster has come away to leave a very flimsy surfave behind.

I'm going to replace the skirting with higher skirting and will have laminate floor underneath, so it should be raised enough to cover most of the damage, but part of me wants the surface behind the skirting to be perfect!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:12 pm

vortice,
So I presume it is dot'n'dabbed!
Right follow what I explained by cutting through board just above skirts, to minimize damage, this will stop boards breaking further up the wall and the bond being broken on the dot'n'dab. Any loose boards you have now you need to rebond using wall adhesive, all you need to do is force some up behind the board from bottom of board, if it is loose higher up you may need to make holes in board to pour some adhesive in. when you apply wall adhesive to board make sure board is flush and level after application and it has bonded to both wall and board. You will also need to fill out behind skirts a few ways to do this, again plaster patch or dot'n'dab plasterboard you can put some skrim tape along the joints and fill it out either using board finish or jointing compound which can be sanded down.
Hope this is of help
KB

Gitta
Labourer
Labourer

Crack in painted (plasterboarded) celing

by Gitta » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:37 pm

Please could someone tell me how I could fix a crack in the paint across the ceiling.

Moved into a house from 1965 and removed the old wallpaper off the ceiling in living room. Seemed to be drywalls. Decided to make good and paint. After a coat of paint it cracked across the ceiling (I think where two plasterboards are meeting). I made crack bigger and filled it and repainted with a few coats. But now it has cracked again right across the ceiling. The rest of the ceiling is fine and I wouldn't like the idea of wallpapering now... Is there an easier way to fix it?

Can I use plaster board joint tape on the painted ceiling where the plaster boards are meeting?

Thank you for any tips!

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:24 am