Plasterboard fixings hell
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rowan
Labourer
Labourer

Plasterboard fixings hell

by Rowan » Thu May 15, 2008 2:39 pm

Hi,

I have plasterboard walls with a one inch cavity. I have so far tried toggle fittings which don't fit due the the depth of the cavity and the redidrive fixings which span round when the screws were put in to the extent that the came back out again. The plasterboard is so soft it can't seem to hold anything. I was thinking that I would have to put in gripfill or something like that. I have a load of shelves to put up that have 10 screws per shelf so need to ensure that it is safe enough to hold some heavy books. Help please, I am ready to move as a result of this!

Thanks

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Thu May 15, 2008 9:09 pm

ROWAN,

DON'T MOVE, IMPROVE!!!

SIMPLY USE LONGER SCREWS INTO PLUGS THAT CAN BE INSERTED INTO HOLES DRILLED INTO THE MASONARY THAT YOUR PLASTERBOARD IS MOST LIKELY DOT AND DABBED TO.

HOPE THIS MIGHT HELP YOU STAY PUT!!!

CHEERS,

ALDA.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Fri May 16, 2008 2:40 pm

assuming that the void is between plasterboard and masonry. a friend of mine lives in an 80's built ex-council house and the studwork walls have only a one inch void between the two walls. nightmare.

although double skinned, any heavy items require noggins, its the only way.

if it is mansonry however, do as alda says and use long masonry fixings.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:30 pm