plasterboard for ceilings
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Builderbert
Labourer
Labourer

plasterboard for ceilings

Post by Builderbert » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:48 pm

Dear Doctor
please can you advise best board and size to use for a replacement ceiling, I've pulled down an old lathe & plaster one and need to replace, also should I start in the middle and work out or start on one wall, I will get a tradesman in to skim. I've got a humungous rose in the centre 45" dia, so I guess I need to scribe to suit.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:55 pm

Hi Builderbert,
I always use 8x4ft boards because it covers area quicker and less joints to scrim tape, but it is a personal choice. 1/2 square edge if yi=our plastering over recommended. Start boarding from a corner of the room, with the long length of the boards crossing joist at right angles, on completing first row stagger next board so you don't have long joints.
KB

Builderbert
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Builderbert » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:18 pm

cheers kb, sorry for not responding before, been busy.
Slightly off topic can you whack down slate chippings? I've been told no but not by an expert.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:30 pm

Personally I use 6 x 3 they are easier to handle even with a drywall prop. Don't know how I managed without the latter in the past. The plasterer won't care too much about additional taping. I can't plaster for toffee - never managed to master the skill but I've a tame one who is quite happy if I use 6 x 3s.

Use 9mm board BTW - you don't need 12.5mm for a ceiling - use plenty of drywall screws and make sure the heads are just below the surface. Otherwise the clumsy spread catches his trowel on them!!

Cheers

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:17 pm

Not sure what you are talking about slate chippings?
Please tell more!
KB

bleara
Labourer
Labourer

Post by bleara » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:23 pm

How many screws should be used to hold plasterboard to the ceiling? How many is 'plenty'?
I'm replacing a plasterboard ceiling as I need to put Kingspan in the pitched roof so the screws will be long and I need to order them. I will be using 9mm board but I want to make sure that the board isn't going to fall down with the weight of plaster once it's all done !

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:37 am

"How many screws should be used to hold plasterboard to the ceiling? How many is 'plenty'? "

minimum every 8 inches, i use my hand span, spread fingers and place screws at the distance from tip of thumb to tip of little finger. though this is of course a rule of thumb. sorry couldn't resist.

slate chippings will just break up and shatter if you compact them - wear goggles and probably cricketers shin pads as well! not sure why you want to compact them? if you intend to use as a sub base then i'd dig them up and use something more suitable - hardcore, sand etc depending on the nature of the work.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:10 am