Plasterboard Gaps Around Fireplace
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jimmyjeopardy
Labourer
Labourer

Plasterboard Gaps Around Fireplace

Post by Jimmyjeopardy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:57 pm

Hey,

I've just had a plasterer in to board and skim my living room. I've been left with a gap around the fireplace as I'm leaving the bricks inside the fireplace exposed.

Any idea what I can do to hide this gap from the dot and dab?

Thanks.

Webp.net-compress-image_(1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KitchenGuy
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Plasterboard Gaps Around Fireplace

Post by KitchenGuy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:15 pm

Left yourself a bit of a problem there by the looks. There are the obvious solutions of using stainless or plastic angle to hide it but the success will depend on the quality of materials and fitting and even the decor of the room.

If it was my problem I would be cutting back that plaster board at least an inch or even to the start of the brickwork, putting on a plasterer's angle bead and returning the plaster to the brickwork. In my opinion it would look much neater more finished than using some trim. More work for the plasterer so don't rely on his support for the idea. :) Can't find a photo to explain but it's effectively making a small reveal to the brickwork.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Plasterboard Gaps Around Fireplace

Post by collectors » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:04 am

Personally i would get some 50mm angle iron & cut the top left & right corners at 45deg & fit with a heatproof mastic.
If you have someone local with a welding plant, weld the 45d corners & grind flat, then paint black. A welder/metal worker will take about 1/2 hour to do the whole thing.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:28 am