Plasterboard to Joists
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
blueeyedboy3004
Labourer
Labourer

Plasterboard to Joists

by blueeyedboy3004 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:42 pm

Hi all,

Not sure if I am in the right forum here. Anyway, I have bought a house (born 1910) and have started to renovate. The ceiling in the living room was lathe and plaster and in very poor condition so down it came. I have started to replace it with a plasterboard ceiling. A problem arose this morning when I discovered one of the joists in the ceiling of the living room is a few mm thicker (vertically) than the rest. I have checked out the joist and the brickwork - there are no signs of any rot or damage etc. Obviously, this has made plasterboarding difficult over this joist as the plasterboard will now bow where that joist is.

Any ideas? I toyed with the idea of planing a few mm off all the way along the joist - is this going to work or is there another method I can use? There is nothing wrong with the joist so will not replace it.

Thanks all.

Snidger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Plasterboard to Joists

by Snidger » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:21 pm

put thy thinking cap on matey, its the only way to learn. Anyway... theres a few ways round it.
!/ surform the back of the board where its going over the joist "but"! this will weakon the board and also when you plaster it, it may crack in time.
2/ get some 9.5 mm board and board up to the joist on either side and then second board the ceiling over the joist.
3/ cut some strips of card board and nail it to the other joist to bring them into line.
etc. etc.

Nigel

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:29 pm

If you haven't started boarding yet just pack the others so they are all at the same level. It will be easier to do that than plane the one that is proud.

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:45 am