Plasterboarding and skimming an uneven ceiling
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cheesebreville
Labourer
Labourer

Plasterboarding and skimming an uneven ceiling

Post by cheesebreville » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:14 am

Hi there

Can anyone help? We have a very uneven old house and one side of the ceiling is at least 3in lower than the other. (This is historic movement and should have stopped now). I think we should plasterboard and skim, but I'm unsure how to fix the plasterboard.
So far... I have this info
1. Use a laser level to find the correct level of the ceiling.
2. Find the joists
3. Screw plasterboard to joists
4. Skim
The problem is how to I lower the one side of the ceiling by 3in and fix it without removing the orginal ceiling and keep the weight down to a minimum? (Weight issue is why we haven't used bonding to level the ceiling.) Are there ultra lightweight plasterboards I can use?

All advice would be really useful.

Ta

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:44 pm

There is no way you can lower a ceiling 3 inches in a lightweight way. You can fix 2.5inch deep cross battens onto the existinfg ceiling fixed at 90 degrees to the existing joists and then plasterboard on them. This is probably the "lightest" way you will achive this size of make up.

slimplynth
Labourer
Labourer

Ceilings

Post by slimplynth » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:25 am

I know three inches sounds a lot but is it really that noticable over the entire room? My lounge an dining room are approx. 16mSq each... two opposite wall are 2 inches different and it doesn't seem to look at all noticeable, only where the top of the door frame should run parallel but is out by 1/4 inch, gradually, from one side to the other.

If anyone points this out to me I'll just call them nosy.

daz
Labourer
Labourer

Post by daz » Wed May 02, 2007 6:48 pm

hi there ,
could anyone help have bought a 1960's house and some of the ceilings are uneven.have plaster boarded before but am unsure of the correct way to do this.the ceiling varies about 10-15mm a wave affect.what is the best way to solve this thanks.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:14 am