plastering aprenterships
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mondeoman.
Labourer
Labourer

plastering aprenterships

by mondeoman. » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:47 pm

hi I've been in the motor trade as a panel beater ever since leaving school and after 12 years I'm looking to start something new. I have some plastering experience from working with a friend, i would like to continue this career as i feel i could have a lot to offer and company looking for new staff. If anyone knows of a company or agency that could help me pursue this i would be very grateful.

dean4174
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dean4174 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:40 pm

i was in the same situation as yourself a while back after i left the army and wanted to get into the plastering trade. unfortunatly due to my age i struggled getting an aprrenticeship and would think you will aswel. I was lucky as the army paid for me to do a plastering course. I would suggest if you have the money then pay for an intense plastering course and get into the trade that way, if not then carry on panel beating and get onto a college course, most colleges do night classes. The other option is to start labouring for someone, you will probably take a drop in pay than you are used to but you will get all the experiance you need.

Hope this helps.

Toffeeboy
Labourer
Labourer

by Toffeeboy » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:44 pm

[quote="dean4174"]i was in the same situation as yourself a while back after i left the army and wanted to get into the plastering trade. unfortunatly due to my age i struggled getting an aprrenticeship and would think you will aswel. I was lucky as the army paid for me to do a plastering course.[/quote]
That's exactly where I stand Dean. Doing a 4 week course at RTC Aldershot very shortly. Did you find what they covered there suitable for finding employment (they certainly appear to cover an awful lot there)? Were there any barriers to employment for you (No C&G style qual's for instance)? I've been along and said hello to the instructor (Rick), and he seems a sound fella, with an awful lot of knowledge to impart. My plan is to try and get on the sites drylining and plastering to gain some experience, with a view to becoming self-employed sole trader in the North West region (Merseyside/Southport/Preston area). If things work out well I'll be made up (fingers crossed).
Sorry for not sending you this as a PM but they're disabled on the site.

dean4174
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dean4174 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:58 pm

I didnt do the course at RTC aldershot, so i cant comment if they are good or bad. I found a civvie firm that provide plastering training. I had 6 weeks to use on my resstlement but 4 weeks will be enough to learn the basics. You will only get from the course what you put in, so if you have the option for a early finish friday and late start monday then say no thanks. Remember its only 4 weeks and you want to squeze in as much as you can. As for getting on sites, its a hard game and you need to be fast to make money, id stick with the refubs if i was you or if you do want site work then start labouring for someone and gain experiance that way. Qualifications arnt a main issue in the plastering trade, alot of plasters i know have never been to college.

Good luck for the future.......

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:04 am