Plastering/Skimming?
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TAP1970
Labourer
Labourer

Plastering/Skimming?

by TAP1970 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:36 pm

Hello

Moved into flat. Some of the walls in the lounge are in a bit of a rubbish state - not very bad with massive holes but think if I try topollyfill and sand down afterwards it will still look rubbish and not smooth. Is it called skimming/reskimming to just have a thin layer of plaster(?) put on the walls? The walls are plasterboard and have emulsion paint on them. So I know what to ask when ringing around for quote are you able to advise exactly what I need.

Also are you able to give a rough guestimate of prices. Basically only need 2 walls doing (the other 2 sides are ok). The length of the 2 walls are 15ft in length and of standard height.

Any help greatly appreciated.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:33 pm

Yes its called skimming. The walls will need sealing first. Most plasterers will want to see the job first before pricing because of things like ease of access, places to mix up etc. Quotes are free so get two or three. All things being equal with easy access and the walls only requiring a skim and not major surgery, its no more than a days work for a decent plasterer.

peter the plumber
Ganger
Ganger

by peter the plumber » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:02 pm

I would get some Polycell “smoothoverâ€

TAP1970
Labourer
Labourer

by TAP1970 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:04 am

Cheers "peter the plumber" and "thedoctor".

I have since found someone, via relative, who said could skim the x2 walls for £60 labour and just cost of plaster. Thing is not available until 4 weeks time... but then reading other forums is it true that "skimming" can take a good couple of weeks to dry out before painting emulsion on it?

"Peter the Plumber" re the polycell stuff - its been given a bad write up - presume its just to fill the gaps and its not used for actual skimming.

jontyrhodes
Labourer
Labourer

by jontyrhodes » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:37 am

no thats not the case waiting for 2 weeks you can paint as soon as it goes the pinky salmon colour in this weather warm it should dry in 2-3 days or you could hire a heater to dry it out then it will dry quicker

slimplynth
Labourer
Labourer

drying plaster

by slimplynth » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:13 am

Not sure I would use an heater though, quickening the drying time will increase the likelyhood of cracking?

squeez
Labourer
Labourer

by squeez » Tue May 08, 2007 12:42 pm

I have also moved into a flat and all the walls were covered in lining paper that is ready to be replaced. We have removed it and the walls are quite uneven in parts (small cracks and holes). I have been told we can get away with NOT skimming them - is is possible to just go with sanding and filling?

We have done the bathroom wall using Pollyfilla and sanding. I have applied to coats of base coat and have found that the old plaster and the Pollyfilla parts have a noticably different finish. It appeared quite smooth prior to painting.

Any suggestions? Should I just get them all skimmed?

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:29 pm