plastering
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paul65
Apprentice
Apprentice

plastering

by paul65 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:42 am

thanks in advace for any help,whats the best process to skim a very large ceilng in two managable goes :?:

canny
Tradesman
Tradesman

by canny » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:15 pm

Get a tradesman, i do such work as part of my building service and if you are not quick enough the plaster will start to go hard before you get a nice finish.if you have done very little skimming, you could be digging your self into a expensive deep hole.If a plasterer has to make good for you , he will proberly charge a bit more to teach you a lesson.Sorry if it sounds a bit harsh but no decent tradesman likes to make good. There is nothing worse than having to put right a poor job.
Remember if you give it a go, it will be very hard work and muscles will hurt which you did'nt know you had.
Best of luck :D

NimbusII
Tradesman
Tradesman

by NimbusII » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:33 am

Hi Paul,
I have just got my foot in the plastering door, my advice would be to leave the large ceiling to an expert and practice on some smaller walls. You will just get frustrated and end up paying someone to finish/make good... I have successfully turned my hands to lots of things in the past(like many others) but plastering NEEDS lots and lots of practice...there is nothing worse than getting a third way through a first coat then realizing you have bitten more than you can chew...very demoralizing...

Hope you get it sorted...

If you do attempt it make sure you do not have any dangerous items of clothing belts/tie/shoe laces/scarf...anything that can hold your weight....just in case you get the urge to jump...:wink:

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:25 am

If you have done any skimming before and feel confident of getting a good finish as long as the "chunks" are managable, then you can buy top coat stop beads which are fixed to the surface and plastered up to. These give a definitive end to an area and this area can be divided up into sections of the size you want.

dean4174
Apprentice
Apprentice

by dean4174 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:45 pm

How big is the ceiling you are talking about?

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:00 am