Plastic or Copper Pipes?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1

Copper or Plastic pipes for central heating / hot water?

Plastic
30%
Copper
70%
Not sure
No votes

Total votes: 10
aneels
Labourer
Labourer

Plastic or Copper Pipes?

by aneels » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi,

Post 1 of potentially many as I'm starting on an extension soon.

I have completely gutted the house (including boiler, tank, radiator, pipes etc) and have decided to go for a megaflow system throughout with a Valliant EcoTech 630 boiler.

Does anyone have an opinion on what is best to use these days for hot/cold water feeds? Copper or Plastic piping? There won't be a need to lay any pipes in concrete or screed as we intend to run them under suspended timber floorboards from the boiler/megaflow in the loft and under floorboards on the ground floor. The extension flooring will be suspended concrete but I hope to run the pipes in the roof somehow.

I've noticed plastic pipes are used in new builds these days and are also much cheaper than copper. Any pros / cons with either?

Thanks,
aneels

mattpark
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mattpark » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:52 pm

More and more new builds go for plastic. its easier to install (very few joins needed) and it can be pulled through holes /ducts/ corners easily. copper is getting more n more expensive . With plastic you need to be very careful with its fittings / isensrts to ensure water tightness.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:49 am

Hi aneels,

If you use plastic properly then you shouldn't have any probs.
By this, I mean use inserts always, no inaccessable joints,cut pipe square,no closer to the boiler than 1m some say 1.5m and keep the number of joints to a minimum.

Hth

philboss
Labourer
Labourer

by philboss » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:11 pm

I tend to use plastic pipe for most jobs, unless the fittings are on show. Copper looks more attractive than the mostly bulky plastic fittings. The fittings are usually more expensive but I believe the cost is recovered on the time you save. One more tip when using plastic; Always ensure the pipe is pushed all the way home, some fittings feel like they're in properly but need that extra push. Hope this helps.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:33 pm

As I've said many times before - it's Copper everytime for me.

htg

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:12 pm

Copper, Copper and more Copper!

Having said that, I have plastic on the van too, but only use it if installation needs to be quick or the run is difficult.

For a new full installation, I would ALWAYS use copper.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:15 pm

"Copper, Copper and more Copper!"

Luddite! :lol:

jules001
Labourer
Labourer

by jules001 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:25 pm

If there's any possibility of mice, fit copper! We had some plastic pipes fitted and found leaks in various places under floorboards, due to 'rodentia'!

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:19 am