Please identify this fungus!
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
theconor
Labourer
Labourer

Please identify this fungus!

by theconor » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:11 pm

Hi, inlet to washing machine has been dripping over many months. Only discovered it when hardboard under lino started bulging. Looked under sink and found some horrible fungus!

Looking for advice -- what is it and what can I do?

NB. So far, I've stopped the drip, washed away all the fungus, and am drying the wood. Wood still feels hard. What's next?

koala
Labourer
Labourer

by koala » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:53 pm

You could apply some fungicidal treatment, my guess is it will disappear and never come back if the wood remains dry.
I don't know the name of the fungus, but I am sure its easy to find either by googling using the pictures function or a decent fungas web site.

I have seen it many times though in real life and it only seems to be around really wet surfaces, normally timber

transitman
Labourer
Labourer

by transitman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Its a type of elf cup fungus or similar, usually dies off once you get rid of the source of damp and does not usually require treatment as it only grows in excessively damp conditions and can't survive without the moisture.
Clear up the fungus, dry out the floor and when dry apply some fungicidal fluid for timber just for peace of mind.
Job done.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:51 pm