Plumb frustrated!
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
1571stevea
Labourer
Labourer

Plumb frustrated!

by 1571stevea » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:23 pm

I'll try to not make this an epic. Recently having had a kitchen re fit Ipointed out to the sparky that since we bought last June, if we want hot water, we get hot rads too ( conventional system ). He looked at the boiler timeswitch and declared that it looked a bit B & Q and was probably wrongly wired. Installing a new ******* timeswitch, the boiler immediately packed up. Plumber came, said PCB melted ( probably due to sparky ) and fan gone. Both replaced, boiler working, rads still doing overtime on hot water only. Called another plumber whose prognosis was diverter valve gone. Duly replaced, I can now at last isolate rads from water. Total cost £800 which I am reminded of at 6 am everyday when the fairground genarator sound of the boiler wakes me and stays on as long as the bolier is firing, most of the time. Current words are that pipes are probably not lagged properly, in the boiler or between the floorboards so nothing can be done. I was away working throughout this process but can't imagine the trauma that the boiler must have gone through as the pipes seemed to be perfectly well lagged before! Any thoughts please? Regards, Sleepless in Tewkesbury. :x

femflirt
Labourer
Labourer

hot rads

by femflirt » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:25 pm

that could simply have been where the pipes were close together you were getting a bit of heat from one going type to the other and gravity doing the rest was it all your rads heating up or mostly upstairs? an your boiler firing could be you have the water temp set to high or the thermostat not working right

1571stevea
Labourer
Labourer

by 1571stevea » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:44 am

Thanks femflirt, all rads were affected. The thermostat is set at about 60 degress which I understand is about right and at that temperature it takes 55 minutes from the noisy boiler to get a morning bath, so setting it any lower would presumably mean the noise coming on at 5.30 for 90 minutes? but thanks anyway

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:25 pm