Plumber doesn't have insurance
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Journey
Labourer
Labourer

Plumber doesn't have insurance

by Journey » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:23 pm

We are installing a new bathroom and just learned that our plumber lied to us about having insurance in case anything goes wrong with his work (like leaks, etc.). When my husband confronted him with this, he said he only told me he did so I wouldn't worry, and that in all his years he's never had any problems with his work. I am livid that he lied and took my concerns so lightly, and am ready to give him the boot. My husband is a little more forgiving because out of 16 plumbers we contacted (SG8 area) to quote on the job, we only got 3 who who actually returned our calls or showed up for their appointment he is the only one out of three out of 16 other plumbers who actually showed up to give us a quote! (One other was way over-priced and the other we thought was incompetant.) Hubby is also concerned that we might also have problems finding someone who would want to come in to a job that's already been started.

We do not have a contract with the current plumber as he's on a day rate.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Plumber doesn't have insurance

by plumbbob » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:05 pm

Do you realise that during the works your plumber is doing, your house insurance may not be in force? Many insurances are suspended during renovations because it is assumed the tradesmen will have public liability.

It is all very well saying he has not had a problem but I don't need to tell you that doesn't mean he never will. If he burns your house down whilst soldering a pipe, you won't get a penny.

I know what I would do.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:06 pm