Plumber flushed system - now CH does not work?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Big Al
Labourer
Labourer

Plumber flushed system - now CH does not work?

by Big Al » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:44 am

our boiler 20 yrs old but was working fine, no noise everything very hot. 3/4 out of 5 downstairs rads not heating up 2 just warm the other cold. Got someone in to flush with acid spent whole day doing it said there were no blocks now but since he has left not one rad in the whole house will heat. He fitted new pump and it now sounds like we are living inside a washing machine whith all the pushing of air and the boiler also founds very funny now. Any ideas on what this could be? we will obvoiusly be getting him back to sort but this happened of Friday and his phones are all off fot the weekend. Also they charged £500 +VAT including new pump, does this sound alot for the South East?

Thanks
:x

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:34 am

Sounds like he's left no (or very little) water in the system.

Is it a combi boiler? What's the pressure reading on the guage?

Phones off? If he charged you VAT then you should have a VAT invoice so you should have an address etc - go knock on his door this morning.

Write him a letter saying you REQUIRE his attendance to fix it and stick it through the box at the same time.

If you don't get any joy this way stop the cheque first thing tomorrow morning. That'll make him come back quicker than anything.

Cheers

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:55 am

Sounds like the sytem is airlocked or hasn't be re-filled with water. You could check the radiators yourself by venting the radiators to see if they're full of air or water. And also vent the central heating pump, as any air trapped in it will prevent the radiators heating up.

If you paid £500+ then they should come and sort it out without any additional charge,

I live in North East and it sound like alot of money to me. I wouldn't have spent that much on a boiler of that age.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:41 pm

Frankly I'd be tempted to do absolutely NOTHING to the system until you get him back. That way it can't suggested that someone else has interfered with it since he left so there can be no liability.

Down here typically a powerflush is around £400. So £500 including a new pump might not be unreasonable. However, I question the "recommend the powerflush at every opportunity" brigade 'cos to me it just looks like easy money when justification might be tenuous and theres the very real risk of overstressing system components - particularly on older systems.

What was wrong with the pump BTW that required it to be changed?

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1