Plumbing and fitting new mixer bath taps.
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Haveagodiyer
Labourer
Labourer

Plumbing and fitting new mixer bath taps.

Post by Haveagodiyer » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:48 pm

Help, we have moved into a house that does not have a bath fitted, we have extended current shower room to accommadate a new bath, purchased new bath and a summit flow deck bath filler mixer tap serial no.43223.

Question 1, what size pipes should I use to plumb this mixer tap into, 15mm or 22mm as the tap threads are G3/4 fittings. The Hot pipe runs into Bath room in 22mm and the reduces to 15mm for the hand basin, the cold mains runs in on 15mm.

Question 2, What fittings do I require to reduce from the treaded tap connection to the correct copper pipe.

Question 3, I will need to drill 2 x 28mm holes at 180mm centres into the bath which type of drill is best to use for this and what is the best method.

Cheers
Haveagodiyer,

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:19 pm

Generally, if you have low pressure hot you need to couple the bath with 22mm pipe. If you have a combi or mains pressure hot then 15mm will do.

Tap connectors are available in 3/4" to 22mm or 15mm depending on which you use. You can use compression fittings, but for DIY it may be easier to use flexible tap tails.

http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... -x-x-300mm

I use a hole cutter for fitting the taps. You can either buy individually sized cutters which can be expensive if it is not going to be used again, or buy a cheap set from a DIY outlet with a number of different sizes.

http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... -Set-15-Pc

Haveagodiyer
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Plumbing and fitting new mixer bath taps.

Post by Haveagodiyer » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:15 pm

Cheers plumbbob,
Thanks for inf. wil def be using flexi, I have have a set of hole cutters that I presumed was for wood only, are these the same or will i need one for plastics/laminates are per your link

Cheers
Haveagodiyer,[/quote]

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:17 pm

Whether the hole cutter will last cutting the bath depends on the quality of the blade. I use Bi-metal designed for both wood and metal but even these don't last too long as the acrylic is quite hard.

A cheap cutter won't damage the bath, it'll just go blunt quickly.

Two tips when cutting the holes. Remember the wall behind the taps will be tiled so allow extra depth when selecting where to cut the holes. I've seen taps that won't turn on before now!

Drill a pilot hole before using the hole cutter. If you don't as the pilot goes through, it is difficult to stop the hole cutter from suddenly contacting the bath - which will chip it. I know, 'cause I've done it!

Haveagodiyer
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Haveagodiyer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:28 am

Again thanks for inf. all v useful tips

cheers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:19 am