All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lisagsvj
Labourer
Labourer

plumbing my house

by lisagsvj » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:05 pm

HI i hope someone can help me.

I am plumbing my house and at the moment all i have is the main water coming into the house and a boiler on the wall. i need to run pipes from kitchen to bathroom for sink,toilet,bath and shower and towel radiator and 4 radiators one in kitchen,living room,1bedroom,2 bedroom.
Then get everything back to boiler for plumber to connect to boiler.

I know it would be easier to get a plumber but budget is very tight
PLEASE HELP

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:32 pm

Whilst I am very sympathetic to your budgetary position you need to weigh up the following:

How much plumbing have you done? Not being rude but it sounds as though it isn't very much.

Are you confident that you can do this lot without resultant leaks having to be corrected when water is applied?

How long do you think it will take you?

How do you value those number of hours in term of £ notes?

How does that value to you compare with employing a plumber for a couple of days?

He's got to come to you anyway to do the boiler. So the incremental cost is how much?

When you do that I think you'll conclude that it will actually be cheaper in the overall scheme of things to let the plumber do the lot!

Get 2 or 3 in to quote you. Do the very simple maths and decide whether you can or should then proceed on your own.

Hope that helps but if it doesn't then come back.

Cheers

MB
Apprentice
Apprentice

by MB » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:30 pm

I agree with rosebery, if you are not a competent plumber then you should leave it to a pro. If you make a mistake and you're not sure what you've done then you'll be needing a plumber anyway. By the time you've had the plumber out half a dozen times you'll be wishing you had employed him/her in the first place. All credit for having a go but chances are you will come unstuck.

lisagsvj
Labourer
Labourer

plumbing my house

by lisagsvj » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:39 pm

thanks roseberry

I see what your saying and you are probably right i thought it would be easy just a case of using the correct size of pipes and where?
I have a lot of time so i could tread slowly as long as i got some advice surely it will be cheaper me doing the easy stuff.
Cheers

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:43 pm

You could well be right but just a word of warning. Don't forget that peeps here are giving their advice and their time in which to do it free of charge.

To be blunt if you were to come back here every five minutes looking for something else cos you've got a snag you could end up testing their resolve and patience just a little bit and the advice could probably dry up.

Good luck however you decide to proceed.

Cheers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:54 am