plumbing
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wayne 78
Tradesman
Tradesman

plumbing

by wayne 78 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:04 pm

hello just wondering if any of you guys could give me a honest opinion my mum has just had sum plumbing work done the plumber has fitted a en suite in the celler ie: a toilet with a saniflow a sink and a shower cubicle n shower and also added 3 new radiators and to be fair there was nothing in the celler wen he started so he has run all new pipework down to the celler for hot and cold water and has also connected the new radiators from the flow and return pipes and run all new waste pipes for the en suite and refilled the heating system with inibitor and connected waste to soil stack outside the parts used has come to £335 pound he was honest enough to show my mum the receipt but he said the labour £700 which makes the final bill £1035 which my mum thinks is very expensive and asked me to challenge him about the price but he said she has ad a bargain because he has not long set up on his own hes done it cheap to try and build up his customers and seemed a bit shocked that i complained wat do you experts think is the price reasonable or is it very expensive ps he also came out and fixed a leak wen a builder drilled thru a pipe but sed he hasnt charged for that as it was a small job n he was in the area anyway thanx 4 any replys

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:33 pm

YOU DIDN'T SAY HOW LONG THE INSTALLATION TOOK!

WAS THE PRICE NOT AGREED BEFORE WORK BEGAN?

ALWAYS GET QUOTES BEFOREHAND.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:30 pm

How long did it take him to do?

Did he give an estimate of time / cost before starting work and was this discussed and deemed acceptable?

Cheers

wayne 78
Tradesman
Tradesman

by wayne 78 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:28 pm

thank you for the replys to be honest he as only been able to do an odd day here n there because of working around other buildin work being done he did a total of 7 days as there were sum obsticals to overcome and i shud mention he also had to modyfi part of the old system which was in 12mm he changed to 15mm as the old 12mm pipework leaked after draining the system dont know if it makes a difference but unfortunately my builder broke his hand so the plumber had to wait for 6 weeks before the walls got plasterd and he was able to carry on then we had to wait on the electrition whos wife had a baby n he didnt come back for 3 weeks so all in all its been 3 months but the plumber as only worked 7 days out of that so wud you say its expensive or not ?

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:28 pm

I WOULD GUESS THERE HAS BEEN A LOT OF UNSEEN WORK DONE TOO.

ALONG WITH ALL THE REST, I THINK THE PLUMBER HAS PROBABELY DONE A FAIR WEEKS WORK FOR A FAIR WEEKS PAY.

IT ALSO SEEMS THAT THE MATERIALS ETC. ARE FAIRLY PRICED.

SO ALL IN ALL IF HE DID A GOOD JOB OF THE INSTALLATION AND YOUR MUM IS HAPPY, YOU SHOULD RECOMMEND THE PLUMBER TO ANY FRIENDS OR RELATIVES IN FUTURE.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:59 pm

£100 per day is about average, especially if it's a business he is running as he will have overheads to pay.

I wouldn't say it was over priced. If the workmanship is good and you've had no problems - it's a fair price.

wayne 78
Tradesman
Tradesman

by wayne 78 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:27 pm

hi thank you htg engineer yes the work he has done works fine and is very nicely done there are no pipes showing n everything as shut off valves on incase we need to remove any of the appliances if i am to be honest the fixture and fittings are excellant i think my mum shud of hired a cowboy she might of got it cheaper then ah ah ah

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:43 am

It's a very fair price.

Cheers

wayne 78
Tradesman
Tradesman

by wayne 78 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:46 pm

hi guys just to let you know after a period of uncomfortable silence the plumber accepted £600 for labour but didnt look happy i now beleive my mum shud of paid wat he asked as all you guys said it was fair but my mum laughs if you dont demand you dont get (thats her veiw guys not mine) thank you for all your replys

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:57 pm

Kind of gives the lie to the oft heard complaint that it's always the tradesman who rips off the customer then doesn't it?

I'm not surprised he didn't look happy - he should have stuck to his guns. By the time he's covered his overheads, run up all those miles on his van going back and forth etc etc he's made a loss on this job I'll bet.

Cheers

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:36 pm

YOUR MUM WOULD PUT LITTLE DOM TO SHAME
(DOMINIC LITTLEWOOD THAT IS)

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1