Polystyrene Coving Fire Risk
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
traffic
Labourer
Labourer

Polystyrene Coving Fire Risk

by traffic » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:41 pm

I am currently decorating a nursery for the arrival of my son. I was about to fit some of the polystyrene coving around the room and somebody advised me not to due to it being a fire risk.
Can anybody advise me on if this is true or not cause its not something i have heard of.

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Yes all council houses have these removed when they become vacant. If you want cove thats light and easy to use i recommend super cove from BnQ and if you cand do the miters get the fitted corners pre cut things.

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi traffic, if you haven't got it yet then I would say not to bother. It never looks good and is not much cheaper or easier to put up than the proper plaster coving. If you do use it then yes it can be emulsioned over but nothing else should be put on it. Some paints can melt the stuff while others make it dangerous if you did have a fire. Personally I would never use it as I just don't like the stuff.

traffic
Labourer
Labourer

by traffic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:18 am

Thanks for the replys it is the super coved stuff from bandq i think that were using.(lost the label now) but it comes in room packs with the corners cut and everything

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:56 am