Poor Ventilation in 1840's Converted Farmhouse Cottage
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

steviewoods2011
Labourer
Labourer

Poor Ventilation in 1840's Converted Farmhouse Cottage

by steviewoods2011 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:25 pm

Hi there

Hoping to get a few pointers in the right direction.

I purchased my first home earlier this year. The property is a converted farm house that has been split into 3. This is an end terrace property The property is built on a concrete foundation and there is no cavity between the floor and the foundation. The brickwork also has no cavity. The property is a on a busy trunk road.

Since I purchased the house - I quickly realised a lot of oddities had been masked and covered up. The point of this post is around poor ventilation. The only ventilation in the property is a small bathroom extractor fan...!

With noise from the road being a factor, no cavities and generally being a cold house - is there any pointers that you can give to allow the house to breathe better without letting in too much cold air and external noise?

Also, the property has a multi-fuel stove - on the survey there was a pointer that there should be a vent in the chimney breast on the 1st floor. Is this something that's absolutely necessary?

The house has had a damp proof course done this year - i'm not quite convinced the walls were damp from water rising - I "think" this may have been to condensation due to poor ventilation.

ANY advice very welcome

Thanks