DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Possible supporting wall taken down in new house what cost to put right?

Postby riiseuk » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:14 am

Hi there, not sure if I put this in the correct place so sorry in advance if that's the case.

Right, I have a problem at the moment with a house purchase where the solicitor has told me an internal wall of about 2 metres was taken out to make a dining kitchen (why they tell me when exchange of contracts has taken place and not before I will never know). I have since been to the property and noticed big cracks where the wall once was in the first place.

Now there are spotlights in the area where this was done so I prised them off and took a picture inside the void and couldn't find any kind of beam supporting the ceiling.

So I'm guessing when the work was done they pinned plasterboard sheets to the joists hoping it would not dip. However the cracks seem to be caused by the joist flexing constantly under the weight of people moving upstairs etc. Also the cracks seem to be where two seperate plasterboard sheets met.

So in the event that this would need some sort of beam or rsj fitted, how much would that cost approximately for a 2 metre long stretch?

I'm not very knowledgable about things like this so any help would be appreciated. Pics below.
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:35 am


Simply Build It

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics