Potterton Suprima 60 corrosion
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Coldest
Labourer
Labourer

Potterton Suprima 60 corrosion

by Coldest » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:30 am

My Potterton Suprima 60 has been condemned due to corrosion. I have put photos on flickr and wondered if anyone can give me some feedback.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59025089@N08/?saved=1

I have been told by British Gas that there is no way they would have been able to detect the corrosion at the rear which means the unit is no longer sealed and therefore unsafe.

Boiler is 8 years-old and no longer covered for replacement by BG. Looking at these pictures, is it not possible that the 2 leaks could have been detected within the 7 year warantee period.

ANY advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:05 pm

Impossible to say really, but it must have been leaking for some time.

A replacement boiler is the only solution.

htg

Coldest
Labourer
Labourer

by Coldest » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:25 pm

In your opinion how long do you think it would have taken for the corrosion to get to this state?

Say 6 months, a year, 2 years, more than 2 years?

That would really help me. Thanks very much.

Cheesie1
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Cheesie1 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:11 pm

from looking at the pictures it would be very hard to see the corrosion, obviously the heat exchanger would cover the majority (if not all) of the corrosion points, they only way u would really know something was up would be if water was sitting in the bottom of combustion case when removed, or if combustion readings were high (only if hole in case). Pottertons are renowed for leaking internal and from drain cocks within the boiler, unfortunately you can't get the replacement casing as potterton no longer produce them, so it's new boiler!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1