Pouring more concrete on to dry concrete footings
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

Waka
Labourer
Labourer

Pouring more concrete on to dry concrete footings

by Waka » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:45 pm

Hi,

I started pouring the footings for a garden studio I'm building but it took more concrete than I expected and I ran out after the builder's merchants were closed.

I am doing this as a weekend job and was at work next morning, long story short I have footings that are 70mm-ish more shallow than I wanted. Around 230mm depth at the shallowest corner.

The project is a garden music studio I'm building, with the footings supporting single-skin brick work using concrete facing bricks with a flat roof at 2.5m. The room is 3.5m x 5.5m.

The concrete has dried for about a week and I'm not sure whether to just leave the footings as they are (as 300mm seemed over specced for the project as is) or somehow pour another layer on top.

Hi,

I started pouring the footings for a garden studio I'm building but it took more concrete than I expected and I ran out after the builder's merchants were closed.

I am doing this as a weekend job and was at work next morning, long story short I have footings that are 70mm-ish more shallow than I wanted. Around 230mm depth at the shallowest corner.

The project is a garden music studio I'm building, with the footings supporting single-skin brick work using concrete facing bricks with a flat roof at 2.5m. The room is 3.5m x 5.5m.

The concrete has dried for about a week and I'm not sure whether to just leave the footings as they are (as 300mm seemed over specced for the project as is) or somehow pour another layer on top.

I read that pouring another layer will not adhere to the bottom layer, but somewhere else said that I can drill into the bottom layer and place reinforcing steel rods in it around the footings and then fill to height.

The new layer would be quite thick at 70mm thick so shouldn't this avoid cracking?

Thanks,

Waka

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:07 pm