All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
rajeevekta
Labourer
Labourer

Power Shower problems. Please help.

Post by rajeevekta » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:27 pm

Good Day all

I would appreciate your feedback from someone here.

I recently had my bathroom renewed. However I decided to keep the old shower pump. I do not know the make. It is connected to a manual mixer, which leads to a shower head. The hot water comes from a combi boiler dowstairs. This shower pump was working fine with the old shower hear/ moixer.

I had a qualified plumber do the job. After the pump was connected, the system behaves strangely. When I keep the system on normal, it works well ie the water is still feeding cold water. But the moment I turn the mixer to the hot setting, the shower starts sputtering and then stops any flow completely. When I take the shower head off, it works absolutely fine. But it only does this when the shower head is connected.

Is this something to do with the back pressure? Could it be that when the Hot water is activated, a back pressure is created and the non return valve stops the flow and the pump stops. Please do not laugh on my views. I have no expertise at all. The plumber will not return. He thinks te shower head is faulty. It cannot be possible, because this is a replacement shower head.

Rgds
Raj

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:13 pm

you say that the hot water is being pumped from a combi. are you sure about this? or is the pump taking water from a hot water cylinder. if you plumber has installed a pump on a combi system then it is a monumental cock up. you CANNOT put a pump on a mains fed system. check to see if this really is the case.

rajeevekta
Labourer
Labourer

Plumbing

Post by rajeevekta » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:31 am

Dear Chris,

I think you have summed up the problme. This is a monumental cock up!!
Two of these chaps have worked on it. The first ones were polish who did part of the job and left. Then there was this other local English chap who also came in later!! Neither of them informed me of this fact. Funny that this local plumber was a certified plumber!!

This means I will need to re connect the shower lines to the regular feed isnt it?

Rgds
Raj

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:40 pm

Take the pump out and connect hot and cold direct to shower mixer, the shower should have the necessary NRV's etc

htg

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:54 pm