Power to garage
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
supposeso
Apprentice
Apprentice

Power to garage

by supposeso » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:32 pm

:?: Hello I have recently had an electrican wire some sockets and lighting to shed all seems well except for the loft where he took the wire from to the shed.
Although he has a circuit breaker out in the shed, the place where he joined the cable is only joined using insulating tape in the loft is this safe or should he have used a plastic fitting of some kind.
Hope this makes sense I am dumb at this sort of DIY that is why I got a qualified Electrican.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Power to garage

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:05 pm

[quote="supposeso"]:?: Hello I have recently had an electrican wire some sockets and lighting to shed all seems well except for the loft where he took the wire from to the shed.
Although he has a circuit breaker out in the shed, the place where he joined the cable is only joined using insulating tape in the loft is this safe or should he have used a plastic fitting of some kind.
Hope this makes sense I am dumb at this sort of DIY that is why I got a qualified Electrican.[/quote]

SUPPOSESO
A JOINT BOX SUITABLE FOR THE DESIGN RATING OF THE
CIRCUIT WOULD NORMALY B USED.
CONTACT YOUR ELECTRICIAN TO ASK IF HE INTENDS TO FIT ONE.?
BLAKEY1963

supposeso
Apprentice
Apprentice

by supposeso » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:39 pm

Hello thanks for the reply he has used some sort of connectors and then taped around them,he is away for a week so I can't get in touch yet but will try next week.
Is it safe to use in mean time?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:55 am

[quote="supposeso"]Hello thanks for the reply he has used some sort of connectors and then taped around them,he is away for a week so I can't get in touch yet but will try next week.
Is it safe to use in mean time?[/quote]

SUPPOSESO
YOUR ELECTRICIAN SHOULD HAVE JOINED WITH CORRECT
AMPAGE CONNECTORS.
I AM ASSUMING IT IS OKAY TO REMAIN IN SERVICE
BUT GET HIM BACK ASAP.
BLAKEY1963

supposeso
Apprentice
Apprentice

by supposeso » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:19 pm

[quote="BLAKEY1963"][quote="supposeso"]Hello thanks for the reply he has used some sort of connectors and then taped around them,he is away for a week so I can't get in touch yet but will try next week.

SUPPOSESO
AMPAGE CONNECTORS.
BUT GET HIM BACK ASAP.
BLAKEY1963[/quote] :?: :?:
Hello Blakey got in touch with spark ref above he has said the connection is safe but I am not convinced, he has said that for a washing machine dryer and the lights it is more than adequate.
Would you recommend getting another spark to look at it or if the worst comes to the worst I have amate who does his own diy he could fit a couple of junction boxes or whatever is required.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:52 am

[quote="supposeso"][quote="BLAKEY1963"][quote="supposeso"]Hello thanks for the reply he has used some sort of connectors and then taped around them,he is away for a week so I can't get in touch yet but will try next week.

SUPPOSESO
AMPAGE CONNECTORS.
BUT GET HIM BACK ASAP.
Hello Blakey got in touch with spark ref above he has said the connection is safe but I am not convinced, he has said that for a washing machine dryer and the lights it is more than adequate.
Would you recommend getting another spark to look at it or if the worst comes to the worst I have amate who does his own diy he could fit a couple of junction boxes or whatever is required.[/quote]

SUPPOSESO
ON HIS CERTIFICATE HE GAVE U , THE ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CERTIFICATE REQUIRED FOR THIS WORK AS IT IS PART P NOTIFIABLE , WOULD B THE SIZE OF CABLE USED.
PERSONALLY IF I HAD TO PERFORM A JOINT IN A CABLE IN THIS CASE
( I WOULD HAVE USED 10 MM2 TWIN AND EARTH AND AN ARMOURED
10 MM2 OUT ) , I WOULD GET FROM WHOLESALERS A CONNECTION
BOX RATED AT 60 AMP TO DO JOIN.MOST WOULD CONTAIN TERMINALS
FOR THE TASK AND BE CLOSED WITH A LID AND A WARNING NOTICE
ATTACHED OF A DANGER OR MAINS PRESENT.
BECAUSE IT IS NOTIFIABLE WORK THE PERSON CERTIFYING MUST COME BACK AND LOOK AT IT ( I AM ASSUMING YOUR ELECTRICIAN CERTIFIED THIS WORK AND IS COMING BACK TO DO CONNECTION
IN MORE EFFECTIVE MANNER.)
BLAKEY1963

supposeso
Apprentice
Apprentice

by supposeso » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:10 pm

[quote="BLAKEY1963"][quote="supposeso"][quote="BLAKEY1963"][quote="supposeso"]Hello thanks for the reply he has used some sort of connectors and then taped around them,he is away for a week so I can't get in touch yet but will try next week.

SUPPOSESO
AMPAGE CONNECTORS.
BUT GET HIM BACK ASAP.
Would you recommend getting another spark to look at it or if the worst comes to the worst I have amate who does his own diy he could fit a couple of junction boxes or whatever is required.[/quote]

SUPPOSESO
ON HIS CERTIFICATE HE GAVE U , THE ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION CERTIFICATE REQUIRED FOR THIS WORK AS IT IS PART P NOTIFIABLE , WOULD B THE SIZE OF CABLE USED.
BECAUSE IT IS NOTIFIABLE WORK THE PERSON CERTIFYING MUST COME BACK AND LOOK AT IT ( I AM ASSUMING YOUR ELECTRICIAN CERTIFIED THIS WORK AND IS COMING BACK TO DO CONNECTION
BLAKEY1963[/quote]

Hello I have asked him again and he says the work is safe,I am in N.Ireland and it seems the rules you quote do not apply here everything works but I still have some concerns.
Can you tell me what I should ask another Electrican to check as I am going to get another one to look at this work?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:38 am

[quote="supposeso"][quote="BLAKEY1963"][quote="supposeso"][quote="BLAKEY1963"][quote="supposeso"]Hello thanks for the reply he has used some sort of connectors and then taped around them,he is away for a week so I can't get in touch yet but will try next week.

SUPPOSESO
AMPAGE CONNECTORS.
BUT GET HIM BACK ASAP.

SUPPOSESO
BLAKEY1963[/quote]

Hello I have asked him again and he says the work is safe,I am in N.Ireland and it seems the rules you quote do not apply here everything works but I still have some concerns.
Can you tell me what I should ask another Electrican to check as I am going to get another one to look at this work?[/quote]

ASK YOUR NEW ELECTRCIAN TO CHECK THAT THE CABLES USED R
THE CORRECT RATING FOR THE DESIGN CURRENT OF CIRCUIT
INSTALLED.
INSIST ON HIM USING A PROPER CONNECTION METHOD ENCLOSED IN
A SUITABLE ENCLOUSURE , AND CORRECTLY RATED AT THE DESIGN
CURRENT OF CIRCUIT.
ON THE LID OF THIS CLOSED BOX ATTACHE A WARNING NOTICE OF
DANGER 240 V ON IT.
BLAKEY1963

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:57 pm