Power to Garage
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pedge
Labourer
Labourer

Power to Garage

by pedge » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:16 pm

Recently had a local company come and give me a quotation to lay a new drive and fit a garage door.
So far, the drive is progressing well and looks very professional. With this in mind I asked him to recommend an electrician to carry out the following:
2 outside lights operated by switch.
3 double sockets (for freezer, lawn mover and the odd power tool).
3 internal fluorescent lights.

The builder has come back to me and said he can do this:
10m run PVC twin & earth from FCU in kitchen to garage consumer unit (40A/30mA RCD) – cable protected by PVC conduit, buried in ground.
3 x 13amp 2 gang switched socket connected to 16A MCB.
2 x outdoor lanterns connected to 6A MCB and switched (10A, 1 way, 1 gang).
3 x fluorescent batten fitting (58W) connected to 6A MCB and switched (10A, 1 way, 1 gang)

I do know that my kitchen circuit, where the FCU is located, is on a ring and this connects directly with my consumer unit (I can’t remember what amp the MCB is without looking).

I’m not entirely comfortable about letting the builder go ahead with this and would be grateful of your opinion. Is there anything I should be looking out for if I decide to have another estimate?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Power to Garage

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:46 pm

[quote="pedge"]Recently had a local company come and give me a quotation to lay a new drive and fit a garage door.
So far, the drive is progressing well and looks very professional. With this in mind I asked him to recommend an electrician to carry out the following:
2 outside lights operated by switch.
3 double sockets (for freezer, lawn mover and the odd power tool).
3 internal fluorescent lights.

The builder has come back to me and said he can do this:
10m run PVC twin & earth from FCU in kitchen to garage consumer unit (40A/30mA RCD) – cable protected by PVC conduit, buried in ground.
3 x 13amp 2 gang switched socket connected to 16A MCB.
2 x outdoor lanterns connected to 6A MCB and switched (10A, 1 way, 1 gang).
3 x fluorescent batten fitting (58W) connected to 6A MCB and switched (10A, 1 way, 1 gang)

I do know that my kitchen circuit, where the FCU is located, is on a ring and this connects directly with my consumer unit (I can’t remember what amp the MCB is without looking).

I’m not entirely comfortable about letting the builder go ahead with this and would be grateful of your opinion. Is there anything I should be looking out for if I decide to have another estimate?[/quote]

PEDGE
THE FEED FOR THE GARAGE SHOULD BE A SEPARATE CABLE
PROBALY 10 MM2 RUN FROM YOUR HOUSE CONSUMER UNIT
TO THIS PLANNED GARAGE CONSUMER UNIT.
THEN VALUES STATED CAN BE CONSIDERED.
HOWEVER THIS IS NOTIFIABLE WORK SO YOUR BUILDER
NEEDS TO ASK U TO GET IN A REGISTERED PART P ELECTRICIAN TO DO THE WORK. THE SPARKY WILLDECIDE TYPE OF
CABLE, WHERE TO RUN ECT. AND CERTIFY WORK.
BLAKEY1963

pedge
Labourer
Labourer

by pedge » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:18 pm

Thanks for the reply. I think I will check the yellow pages and get the builder to do this

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:26 pm