Power to the shed using armoured cable
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ashleyjames
Labourer
Labourer

Power to the shed using armoured cable

by Ashleyjames » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:55 am

Hi all, I’m guessing this has been asked a number of times. I just wanted to check that what I’m going to do is logical and acceptable. I intend on running armoured cable above ground and in conduit from my house up to my shed. Unfortunately I cannot bury it as the garden is steeply terraced upwards away from the house with Stone steps, concrete patios and gabion walls throughout so it’s just not possible. I intend on running it from a socket in our utility room through 2.5mm cabling to a caravan type consumer unit in the shed which I’ll then fuse the lights and sockets individually. The shed is about 40ft from the house. Ideally I would like to be able to leave it on permanently.

I’ve read that using an extension lead set up would be poor practice so is my proposal adequate? I would love to be able to take it off the main fuse box but that’s at the front door and would involve me ripping up floorboards and bringing down ceilings to get the wiring to the back of the house, or launching some hideous wiring over the roof which I just don’t want to do.

Hope this makes sense and thank you in advance

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Power to the shed using armoured cable

by ericmark » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:46 pm

SWA cable needs a gland, there are many ways, I would often mount a box outside back to back with box inside and run inner of SWA to inner box and an earth cable with hole slightly down to outside so water will not follow cable into the house.

Does not really matter what outside box, a metal clad socket box an blank works well but tight, bigger the adaptable box easier it is.

In side I want the deepest back box I can and the Screwfix LAP grid range works well as can have a socket, switch and fuse in double socket plate.

In shed a switched FCU for lights allows you to fuse down for lights.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:36 am

SWA cable needs a gland, there are many ways, I would often mount a box outside back to back with box inside and run inner of SWA to inner box and an earth cable with hole slightly down to outside so water will not follow cable into the house.

Does not really matter what outside box, a metal clad socket box an blank works well but tight, bigger the adaptable box easier it is.

In side I want the deepest back box I can and the Screwfix LAP grid range works well as can have a socket, switch and fuse in double socket plate.

In shed a switched FCU for lights allows you to fuse down for lights.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:55 pm

Ashleyjames, you asked is what you propose" logical and acceptable" The answer has to be no, due to your errors and omissions, also how will you test everything/make sure it is safe?
I understand you want to go "DIY" but I would suggest you employ the services of an electrician BEFORE you do anything, explain to him/her what you want to do, and that YOU will do the donkey work, and you would like him/her to advise you and finally to test it for you.

Better safe than dead.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:56 am