Power to wall-mounted Plasma TV
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

Power to wall-mounted Plasma TV

by nitro23456 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:48 pm

I have wall mounted a 26 inch plasma (well LCD actually) to our bedroom wall. It is a stud wall and the bolts have gone into the studwork. In an effort to hide cables (aerial and power) I have hidden them within the cavity between the two sides of plasterboard (other side is stairs).

Just wanted to check this is ok..... I have taken the aerial down thorugh the wooden roof plate of the stud wall and down through the insulation and cut a small hole and pulled it through (the hole is now covered by the actuall TV bracket) I am not really concerned by the aerial......

for the power I have mounted a two-socket extension lead next to the TV bracket and then taken the plug off.... fed it through the same hole and up into the loft through a separate hole in the roof plate of the stud wall.... then accross the loft and back down into the bedroom through the plasterboard ceiling behind the wardrobe where a socket exists. As an additional step I put the power cord (obviously already insulated) through a plastic bit of overflow pipe in the wall as well.

Result - all cables etc completely hidden behind the TV in the stud wall.
Question - is this breaking any rules?!

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:23 pm

One is to be able to see where cables are likely to be by the position of the sockets or switches. Technically reading what you are saying you may not be complying here. But in general there seems nothing really wrong. I am assuming you have plugged in as cable on an extension lead is likely too small to be directly connected to a ring main and I assume some protection is given as it goes in and out of the wall with a spur unit or other suitable method of protecting the cable. You also should test any system you install. No one without seeing exactly what you have done is going to say it's OK. And I bet I can find something wrong with any electrical system I look at if I really try. Ask yourself the question. If you remove the bits you would take away when moving house would it be seen by new owners where cables run? If they instead of a TV they used a fan heater and kettle would it cause a problem especially overheating other than blowing fuse? Are the cables likely to chaff where they enter and leave the wall? If they all seem OK then most likely it is OK.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 pm