Prefab Chimney Not Leaking yet but......
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mcaddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Prefab Chimney Not Leaking yet but......

by mcaddy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:38 pm

I live on a estate that was built about 10 years ago, along our terrace many of my neighbours have had roof issues with quite a few identifying the fake chimneys as a poorly designed or constructed aspect. Spotted another neighbour had scaffolding up last week. My NHBC insurance will lapse next Wednesday (27th) and so I thought I ought to take a look at the condition of my roof.

I was surprised to see a significant amount of staining on the inside around the edge of the chimney stack, nothing obvious to indicate it's getting through however this doesn't look right and gives me pause for concern. Should I be worried, is this normal, I can see some water staining on the roof joist also, is this a problem which will inevitably get worse or if left undisturbed will be fine?

Also saw some damp spots along the ridge, should I be worries about this also?

Roof construction is natural slate, chimney is a prefab bolted onto the roof.
Attachments
right.jpg
left.jpg
ridge.jpg
ridge (2).jpg

domward
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Prefab Chimney Not Leaking yet but......

by domward » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:43 pm

First thing would be to check the flashing about the bottom of the chimney. Might be old or just not there at all, if needed check out lead replacement flashing, lighter and easier to install that lead or other flashings products.

mcaddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Prefab Chimney Not Leaking yet but......

by mcaddy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:25 pm

Thanks for the response, chimney is three floors up and ladder access is impractical due to a lower level extension. There does appear to be lead flashing and property is only 10 years old. If it needs repair then it'll be done on the insurance so no need to go cheap.

My question really was do people think that this level of water staining on the roof lining fabric and some staining on the roof joists normal.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:46 am