Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
FEP
Labourer
Labourer

Preparing Breeze Block Wall For Tiling

by FEP » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi,

I am installing a shower and have taken down half height tiling on three walls around my bath. i intend to replace with tiles up to the top of the walls.

On removing the old tiles, much of the tile cement came off taking the top of the plaster coat underneath with it. The majority of the walls are now a rough plaster surface. Some of the tiles left the cement in place and having carefully removed any cement/plaster that was loose, there are patches of sound tile cement. In one or two small patches the plaster has come away revealing the (1930's) breeze blocks underneath.

Putting up new boarding seems overkill and would probably necessitate me having to re-position the bath which I don't want to do. Reading around the web there seem to be many different ways of preparing the surface for new tiling. In my simple world a coat of bonding would cover the walls imperfections and be flat enough to tile to. Am I wrong? Any suggestions?

Cheers,

FEP

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Preparing Breeze Block Wall For Tiling

by welsh brickie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:35 am

its best to fill in any holes with plaster and make the surface as flat as possible, you can use drywall adhesive

FEP
Labourer
Labourer

by FEP » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:32 am

welsh brickie wrote:its best to fill in any holes with plaster and make the surface as flat as possible, you can use drywall adhesive

Drywall adhesive to bond the tiles to the plaster?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:50 pm

no you use tile adhesive for the wall, cement based, but you use drywall adhesive to fill the holes before tiling

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:24 pm