Preparing for Wood Block Floor in Place of Quarry Tiles
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

bitstreams
Labourer
Labourer

Preparing for Wood Block Floor in Place of Quarry Tiles

by bitstreams » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:01 pm

We have taken a wall down between the dining room and the kitchen. The dining room as a wood block floor (the sort that you get 9 squares with each made up of 5 strip blocks, all on a paper backing). We want to extend this in to the kitchen area (and then seal it - seperate thread probably).

The kitchen has thick quarry tiles (18mm). I have taken a few up and they seem to be laid with a cement type substance on to concrete, so the floor underneath is ridged. The flooring is 9mm thick and only has a paper backing and is applied with black mastik (I think) which I'm guessing has very little thickness, so I've probably got to make up 8mm across the whole floor to match the level as before.

The kitchen is just under 12 square meters. How would I build up this level - self levelling compound or something else or a bit of both. I want to be able to do this myself without having to bring a trade in if I can.

any advice much appreciated.

Simon

It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:14 pm