Preparing old installation fireplace for wood burner
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Mark L
Labourer
Labourer

Preparing old installation fireplace for wood burner

by Mark L » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:39 am

A couple of points that need some advice and guidance please.

Firstly: I've taken an old fireplace back to the original brick and raked out the pointing to about 1/2 inch. We would like the fireplace rendered and plastered before having a wood burner installed in a months time.
The heat of the stove is apparently an issue with the render and I think I need to add lime to the render mix to help with the potential heat / expansion issues - Any advice to mix ratios etc..?

Secondly I had it in mind to use plaster beading to help square the edges which are badly broken by previous 'renovations'. Will this cause problems with the metal expanding and cracking the render/ plaster?

Thirdly (and finally I hope) has anyone used heat resistant plaster from the likes of Vitcus, does it do what it says on the tin or are there more affordable options.
Sorry for the long post, this project is causing some serious head-scratching :(

jenny77
Labourer
Labourer

Newbee fireplace help please

by jenny77 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Hi

I am not sure if I am posting in the right place, sorry if it not.

I have a fire place that I am taking out in order to fit a log burner.

I am in the middle of knocking the brickwork out and am not sure how far to go back.

I have taken out the front of the fireplace and have a builders whole, but need to now how much of the brick to take out the back and when do I know I have taken out as much as I should?

Many thanks
Jenny

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:57 pm