Preparing painted room for plastering
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Kevlar
Labourer
Labourer

Preparing painted room for plastering

by Kevlar » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:15 pm

Hello all,

I am redecorating my bedroom and I want to get the walls skimmed. You know how it is, over the years you put shelves up, TV brackets, pictures and whatnot, then whenever you redecorate you move things around and have to fill in holes and now the walls look a bit gnarled, with lumps, bumps and small gouges.

I am going to get a plasterer in, but I want to know what I need to do to prepare, so he (or she!) can just come in and get on with it.

Of the four walls, three are plasterboard and one is concrete. The concrete wall feels the same to the touch as the other three so perhaps that was finished with plaster.

The walls are painted, and have been painted a few times. In the corners of the room the paint is quite thick and has warped and bubbled somewhat. I used a heat-gun and it came away quite easily, but moving away from the corners and onto the main part of each wall the paint seems quite well bonded - it came away, but I had to hold the heat gun on it for ages and scrape like a madman.

I've been told that plastering over paint is fine, but I am wondering if it would be a good idea to strip the room completely? Or at the very least in all corners or wherever the paint looks a bit thick and gloopy. I don't mind getting it stripped, whatever is best.

Any advice welcomed.

Cheers,

-Kev

golfbidder1972
Apprentice
Apprentice

by golfbidder1972 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:37 pm

When plastering walls make sure any loose material is off. If its hard to come off leave it as it wont make any difference once plastered,clear the room completly including carpet if its nice,and pva walls with 1part pva and 1part water,the plasterer will probalbly pva again but this only takes 10 minutes.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:25 pm