Primer or undercoat for wood?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jenn King
Apprentice
Apprentice

Primer or undercoat for wood?

by Jenn King » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:38 pm

I have beams and want to paint the ceiling white.

The wooden beams must have been treated I guess, so do I need to use a primer on the wood before painting with emulsion or is an undercoat for wood the best thing or do I need any sort of undercoat?

Grateful for any advice.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:28 pm

Jenn King,
The beams could have been treated with anything so you will have to use an oil based primer/undercoat. Try a small area first to see whether it will cover.
end

Jenn King
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Jenn King » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:17 pm

Thank you Stoneyboy - If I use an oil based primer/undercoat can I then use a white emulsion on top of that? the spaces between beams is plasterboard and I want to paint the entire ceiling white.

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:58 am

Hi Jenn, as stoneyboy says they could have been treated with almost anything over the years. If you find that the old colour bleeds through the primer/undercoat you could try using Aluminium Primer on it first then a white undercoat, oil or waterbased it won't matter after using the aluminium primer followed by a couple of coats of the emulsion with the rest of the ceiling. Dulux make this primer along with other companies so you shouldn't have any difficulty in buying it.

Jenn King
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Jenn King » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:29 pm

Many thanks Shedman

I have neglected to say that these beams are new wood put in a couple of years ago, standard interior stuff and not some ancient timbers.
Is the advice still the same?
Thanks very much for your thoughts

theshedman
Foreman
Foreman

by theshedman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:49 am

Hi Jenn, yes if you try what stoneyboy says and it does bleed through then try the aluminium primer on it and that should stop it. It really depends on what is on them to start with. There are a few other primers on the market that may also work but I find this one quite good on most things.

Jenn King
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Jenn King » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:23 am

Thanks Shedman - I'll have a go and see

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:51 pm