problem draining my immersion heater
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rob.b
Labourer
Labourer

problem draining my immersion heater

by Rob.b » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:43 pm

Hi guys need some help as my heater element has gone, but I can't get to the drain valve. The tank is a small cupboard and the diy nightmare who owned the place before me has put the drain valve completely out of reach!
i have tried turning the mains water off and running both taps until they go dry but the tank must still be full judging by the flood I get when I try and turn the element!
Any help, or a boat much appreciated!

bazza
Ganger
Ganger

immersion heater

by bazza » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:36 pm

hi rob b you dont say wat type of cylinder you hav if its a direct or indirect ect: if it has a vent pipe connected to top of the cylinder. close the gate valve on cold feed pipe then run bathroom taps till water stops running you cud then carefully undo the nut at top of the cylinder connecting the vent pipe then get a hosepipe long enough to reach from the lenghth of your cylinder to the nearest draining point then fill the hose with water and bend one end over about 6 inch and secure it with sum tape so no water leaks out now with your thumb over the end of the hose pipe carry up 2 cylinder and quickly letting go with your thumb insert the hosepipe into the connection hole at top of cylinder n push the hose to the bottom of cylinder now go bk 2 the drain point at the other end of the hose and remove the tape the cylinder will now siphon itself wait 4 the water 2 stop and you shud then be free 2 remove your immersion heater dont forget 2 switch off boiler and let water cool down b4 draining it ps if a indirect cylinder REMEMBER you will hav to drain the central heating as well.and REMEMBER to disconnect electricity surply b4 removing emmersion heater hope this helps sorry 4 long reply but its easier 2 do then xplain lol gud luck bazza

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:56 pm