Problem fitting some spot lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Richard12345
Labourer
Labourer

Problem fitting some spot lights

by Richard12345 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:22 pm

Hi

I have just brought 5 seperate halogeon spot lights to fit in my lounge that will be replacing the 5 existing lights (60w light bulbs)

Having taken off the first celing rose I am confused !

Following the instructions that came with the spot light I have connected 3 wires to the new junction (that comes wired to each spot light) which are all bound by one cable.

There are 4 extra wires bound by another cable and I do not know where to attach these to on the spot light junction box. The box has 8 sockets in total, there are only now 2 avaliable.

I am not sure if I have connected the correct wires to the junction box and where to connect the extra wires. I currently have no lights on at home and some help would be much appriciated.

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:52 pm

Three wires? most ceiling roses have 8 not including the earths!
There is a projects area what did you not understand?
A ceiling rose is basically a junction box not a lighting connector and it normally has three cables and a flex going into it.
Most spot lights do not have a junction box built into them and are intended to be feed by the flex out of the ceiling rose.
If you wish to remove the ceiling rose you must replace it with something to connect the cables in it, often people just use a connector block and shove it into the ceiling and pretend it does not matter. Rather a blinkered approach but common. In most cases it is just a matter of all earths (Green/Yellow) together. All line (Red or Brown) of the twin and earth cables together but this does not include the flex. Then the bit that seems to cause all the problems the neutrals all go together (including flex) but not all black (or blue) are neutral and one should have some sleeving to show it is the switch wire this wire goes to the line wire on the flex (brown). So looking at the ceiling rose you have just two wires in block one end these are switch wires make sure they are marked one will be brown to local lamp, then three wires feed in feed to next lamp and switch these do not connect to local lamp, then three wires neutral in, neutral out and neutral to local lamp. Many people replace the two connector block that comes with the lights for a three connector block and shove it all in ceiling if on mid floor or mount the ceiling rose on a rafter if on top floor.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:15 am