Problem Radiator - Cannot Get Bleed Screw Open
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nearlyman
Tradesman
Tradesman

Problem Radiator - Cannot Get Bleed Screw Open

by Nearlyman » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:10 pm

I have similar problem to another member - rad hot at top, coldish at bottom. Bleeding is the first thing to do. Broke two keys trying to free the bleed screws. What do I do now?
By the way the square heads are on the inner face of the double rad so even if I remove the rad I still cannot get to the head of the screw, which is almost 'buried' in a kind of pocket (why I do not know). A larger tool would simply be obstructed by the pocket diameter which is only just big enough to accept a standard bleed key anyway. You couldn't even get in there to drill out the bleed screw- unless you had a flexible drill bit........???
As you might have guessed these rads are not exactly "top of the range"...:=)

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Problem Radiator - Cannot Get Bleed Screw Open

by proptech » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:43 am

Hi Nearlyman
If the radiator is hot at the top, bleeding is not the problem. Try opening the locksheild valve a little to improve the flow. The system may need to be rebalanced, or there could be a build up of sludge.
Back to bleeding - Get hold of a brass key, not the usual aluminium things, and file a little off the end, to get as good a fit as possible. With a bit of luck, and a pair of pliers, you should be OK. But as I said, in this case it won't solve the problem.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:10 am