Problem removing tap handle/cover
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Phil S
Labourer
Labourer

Problem removing tap handle/cover

Post by Phil S » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:01 pm

I need to dismantle a washbasin tap to change the washer - as it is dripping. The tap is marked 'osy' (manfacturer's mark?) in small letters on the side, and the hot/cold coloured indictor is a small plastic insert screwed into the top of the handle/cover. I've unscrewed the indictor, expecting to see a screw head underneath. However, all there is is the rounded top of a brass spindle, surrounded by some sort of plastic washer (softish plastic, spit into five segments) inside the narrow hole in the middle of the handle/cover. I can't work out how to get the cover off - it doesn't want to just pull off, but there isn't a screw to undo. Where to I go from here? (Note - tap is probably 30 years old)

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:40 pm

Is their a collar / casing between the tap handle and the tap outlet.

Try turning this anti-clockwise to see if it moves

david p
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Problem removing tap handle/cover

Post by david p » Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:41 am

[quote="Phil S"]I need to dismantle a washbasin tap to change the washer - as it is dripping. The tap is marked 'osy' (manfacturer's mark?) in small letters on the side, and the hot/cold coloured indictor is a small plastic insert screwed into the top of the handle/cover. I've unscrewed the indictor, expecting to see a screw head underneath. However, all there is is the rounded top of a brass spindle, surrounded by some sort of plastic washer (softish plastic, spit into five segments) inside the narrow hole in the middle of the handle/cover. I can't work out how to get the cover off - it doesn't want to just pull off, but there isn't a screw to undo. Where to I go from here? (Note - tap is probably 30 years old)[/quote]

OSY tap. I have a similar problem with an OSY mixer tap. I am unable to find the answer, have you yet? dave p

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:15 am