PROBLEM WITH 5 INLET WASTE CHAMBER
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
toplondonchef
Ganger
Ganger

PROBLEM WITH 5 INLET WASTE CHAMBER

by toplondonchef » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:11 pm

Nice sunny weather and in the mood for diy and general house maintenance so thought I would give the drains a hose down and splash the bleach around a bit
Drains all fine and even lifted the steel lid on the main inspection chamber in back garden and gave a blast

Not so good however with the plastic 5 inlet waste chamber (this was added a couple of years ago following an extension

Only 3 of the inlets are used with the other 2 sealed with plugs
The problem is that there is an internal plastic divider between the 3 inlets and the 2 inlets and the sewage/waste has risen over the dividing wall and then can't drain away
This has left a build up of solid waste that obviousely gets worse with every flush (with this discovery the wife was calling me that lunch was ready in 5mins - just pleased not sausages) !!

Although not an apparent problem until I lifted the lid (call me crazy !) this can't be right or healthy ?

Any ideas how to rectify ?
ps. I don't mind getting my hands dirty !

Thanks for any comments

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:26 pm

toplondonchef,
If the IC has been installed correctly there should be no problem however if a blockage is occuring downstream of the IC this will lead to a build-up of solids in the chamber. Hose it out and check for intermittent blockages downstream.
end

toplondonchef
Ganger
Ganger

by toplondonchef » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:08 pm

Cheers Stoneboy for the reply - however a blockage is definately not the problem here, probably I have not explained the issue clearly;

I will try to explain again;
3 inlets on one side of the IC all being used for waste, shower, basin, etc
2 inlets on the other side of IC not in use but both capped
Central gulley runs down middle of IC

Some waste when toilet is flushed seems to flow over the central gulley and lodges on the other side where the 2 capped inlets are and builds up
As there is no water flow on the capped side there is nothing to flush this build up away down the central gulley

Hope my terminology is correct here and I have made problem clearer

Any other suggestions gratefuly recieved !

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:26 pm

toplondonchef,
Right got you.
In that case get hold of a length of soil pipe shorter than the length of the IC, cut this along the length so you have a 2/5 + 3/5 split. Glue the 2/5 in the side of the gulley in the IC where the unused inlets are, use solvent cement. Once this has set fill the unused inlet channels with a strong sharp sand and cement mix.
end

toplondonchef
Ganger
Ganger

by toplondonchef » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:42 pm

Once again, thanks Stoneboy for your input

Actually have all materials that you suggested in my garage so just waiting for the next burst of motivation to carry out this job

Cheers for your time

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 am