problem with indirect heating system
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dph
Labourer
Labourer

problem with indirect heating system

by dph » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:13 pm

I have an idirect heating and hot water system. While the heating is fine suddenly the cold water feed pipe in the loft is constantly replacing water, albeit very slowly, the hot water is luke warm and the emersion heater is not having any effect. This all happened over night. Any ideas? I don't appear to have a an obvious leak anywhere but the feed tank must need topping up constantly.
Thanks

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:09 am

"I don't appear to have a an obvious leak anywhere". Me thinks you do! Just a shrewd guess, but do you have pipes running under concrete floors???

Unfortunately these are classic symptoms of a leak and all the hot water is simply draining away faster than the immersion can heat it. If the header tank is constantly filling, the water must be going somewhere??

dph
Labourer
Labourer

by dph » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:52 pm

Hi. you were right. Last night i sat thinking of possibilities and realised that we have hot and cold extension pipes that run from the main system out of the house to a downstairs loo we had put in. Don't ask why the pipes go outside - I hate to use the term 'cowboy'. Last night I turned off the isolation valve and the problem was solved. The supply was still reaching tap that's why it never occured to me to check. I now just have to find the leak - suspect a joint. Thanks.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1