Problem with push button toilet cistern
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
squarefrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

by squarefrog » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:23 pm

Hi there. I'm new, so hello! On to my problem - I've just moved into my first home and the toilet is one of those push-button cistern types. It works well, except I have to hold down the button to get it to flush properly.

Its like the toilet will only flush while I'm holding the button down. Also the smaller of the two pushy button parts is broken. Can this whole push button assembly be replaced cheaply?

Thanks for any help you can offer! :D

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:08 pm

if you have to hold it down, either the cistern isnt filled enough or the plastic leg under the button is adjusted too short.

what is 'broken' about the other bit?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:37 pm

They can normallly be replaced, most DIY shops will sell kits. And they will fit most cisterns. Screwfix have one:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/43148/Plu ... op%20Valve

htg

squarefrog
Apprentice
Apprentice

by squarefrog » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:47 pm

[quote="nitro23456"]if you have to hold it down, either the cistern isnt filled enough or the plastic leg under the button is adjusted too short.

what is 'broken' about the other bit?[/quote]

I think the cistern is filled enough, as theres plenty of water when i look in. And if I hold the button down it fills. The smaller push button thing is loose. If you release the button too quick it just pops out. Although I'm not convinced its a dual flush - the button seems like just one assembly.

[quote="htg engineer"]They can normallly be replaced, most DIY shops will sell kits. And they will fit most cisterns.[/quote]

Great! I'll have a look. At that price, its not really worth trying to figure out what's wrong with the old one.

Thanks for your replies.

diy-tim
Labourer
Labourer

by diy-tim » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:07 am

As this is a relatively new installation, you probably have what is called a dual flush cistern. The idea is to save water by only giving a short flush when needed.
The larger button on top is supposted to give a full flush of approx 7 litres of water, the smaller button gives only a short flush whilst you hold down the button. :wink:

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:57 am