All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ianmwxm
Labourer
Labourer

Problems after replacing bathroom suite

by ianmwxm » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:16 am

Problems after replacing bathroom suite

Just finished installing a replacement bathroom suite and seem to have an array of issues with it!

Before I start I have a hot water tank in the airing cupboard and a header tank in the loft and the hot water taps are connected to this. I estimate that the tank is 2 meters above the bathroom. Cold water comes from direct feed from the mains and is quite high (no equipment to test the actual pressure!)

I have, basically, put the new suite in the same places as the previous suite but extended the pipes. Now here are the issues!!

The new sink is a mono tap and I have connected the flexi pipe connections to the existing 15mm pipes (as were connected to the old sink – but that had separate cold / hot taps). I had to extend the 15mm pipes a bit and have added a service valve before the flexi pipe. Hot water runs slower than it used to (but not a dribble) but the cold water sounds like a plane taking off when the tap is partially opened.

The old toilet was a ball valve type and the new one is a bottom fill “torbeck” type (not sure if that is the correct make or term?). It has a push button on the lid. When filling is complete it makes a loud thud. I checked the pipes and can see clips on the joists I can get to (I did add one or two additional clips) so I don’t think vibrating pipes is the problem – rather that it is a water hammer problem.

The bath taps have been changed to a mixer tap which I bought as suitable for low and high pressure systems. The cold water fill is fine but the hot water is slower than it used to be (the old taps were again separate cold / hot). Mixing the water just means I get cold water. As with all the connections I used the existing pipes but with the bath used flexi pipe to connect to the taps – 15mm for cold and 22mm for the hot. The hot flexi pipe has an integral service valve.

From my hours of looking at the world wide web I think a pressure reducing valve to the cold water mains would solve these issues but have some questions – where is best to fit one? There is no problem with any of the taps (washing machine, dishwasher, kitchen and outside) downstairs so should I fit it after the kitchen and before the bathroom or right after the stopcock? Should I fit one to each of the sink, bath and toilet? Are they ok to fit vertically? Will the reduced pressure affect my cold water fill electric shower? If it does will I need to fit a water pump to boost pressure to that (or is a power shower a better/cheaper option)? Will this pressure reducing valve stop the water hammer or should I also consider a water arrestor (or whatever it’s called. I was also reading about non-return valves for the mixer taps – would I need one of these?

I appreciate any advice anyone is able to offer

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

by Dave From Leeds » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:01 am

The easiest (and cheapest) thing to do first might be to turn down your main stopcock where the water supply enters the house. The low flow on the hot water feeds may be due to restrictions in the flexi-hoses and isolator valves. The cold water, being at full mains pressure is likely to produce a higher flow than the hot through your bath mixer.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:08 pm