Problems with a new light fitting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
emmasam02
Labourer
Labourer

Problems with a new light fitting

by emmasam02 » Sun May 17, 2009 3:00 pm

hi, we have taken down an old flourescent light in our kitchen to replace it with a new light fitting and are having trouble with the wires. We can get the light to come on but when using the light switch it trips. Coming down from the ceiling we have 3 red wires, 1 blue wire and 2 black wires. Can you tell us how to wire this correctly so that we can use our new light please! (the light fitting has a connection block with 4 places to put wires, Blue (N), Green Yellow (Earth) and brown (L) plus a spare if we need to make a loop??) Please help!
thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun May 17, 2009 6:57 pm

emmasam02
All earths to earth terminals, your three reds are to be looped in to spare, one of the the three cables left 2xblack 1xblue should be a switch wire, so if non have red flag on we may need to try them and swap around, if no joy,
So try 2 x blacks in neutral connection this should also be blue flex side of light fitting and the blue in the Live side brown flex side of fitting.
If this fails to operate correctly try swap them around ie blue for one of blacks, then if that fails swap the other black for black. Should always be two cables in neutral connection regardless of it being two blacks or a black and blue.
Remember to isolate circuit before working on it
Kind Regards
KB

emmasam02
Labourer
Labourer

Thank you

by emmasam02 » Mon May 18, 2009 1:02 pm

Hi KB

i just wanted to say Thank you for your help on our lighting problem - we followed your instructions and on the second variant - it worked! Fab advice, easy to understand and solved the problem - cant thank you enough.
I would also like to add that i did post the same query on 2 other similar sites, and although i had a couple of responses they werent nearly as clear and easy to understand (they may well have also given me the correct answer - couldnt tell you because it was a bit too full of jargon!) so i am really grateful for the easy to follow explanation!
Thanks once again!
emma

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon May 18, 2009 7:04 pm

Emma,
Glad to be of help and thank you for the feedback, it is very much appreciated, a lot of visitors ask the questions then you never hear how they have gone as the don't get back to you.
Pleased you are no longer in darkness.
Kind Regards
KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:30 am