Problems with Replacing 3 Gang 2 way Light Switch for Chrome Ones
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
phileaston
Labourer
Labourer

Problems with Replacing 3 Gang 2 way Light Switch for Chrome Ones

by phileaston » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:46 am

PLEASE HELP!!!
I have a 3 gang 2way switch down stairs and a 2 gang 2 way up stairs...standard white switches and all I am trying to do is replace them with a nice flat plate chrome ones the problem is the connectors on the back are different the standard ones have 1 and 2 up the top and c down the bottom....on the new switch It has t1 and t2 up the top and c down the bottom with the middle switch inverted but when I wire up the new switch the same way the light switch up stairs wont work if the switch down stairs and vice versa ive tried all manner of combinations but with no joy.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Problems with Replacing 3 Gang 2 way Light Switch for Chrome Ones

by ericmark » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:51 am

Not quite sure what you are doing wrong but some pointers.

C or common is the important wire get the L1 and L2 swapped or what ever the other two wires are called all it does is swap which way the switch works which for two way does not really matter.

It is also important to define the switch some have three switches and some there is a moulded line to define what switch is using which terminals.

With on/off com and one other terminal are used.

With two way all terminals are used.

With two way the master switch i.e. one connected to lights will have two wires in the L1 and L2 and just one wire in the com.

Of the two wires in L1 and L2 one goes to light the other goes to the slave switch the wires to slave are like for like. i.e. if blue goes to come at master then blue goes to com at slave.

So if we look at a standard two way switch we have two wires from the light in one cable likely red and black which will go into L1 and L2 then we have three wires going to slave likely red yellow and blue it does not matter which wire goes into Com, L1 or L2 as long as same wire goes into Com, L1 and L2 on the slave switch.

But with the simple on/off switch the two wires red and black go to Com and either L1 or L2.

In theroy all wires should have red (or with new colours brown) sleeves on them there is no colour code for which wire goes where.

I find this site a pain as it does not let one alter post once posted until after approved and I find the pictures rather hit and miss.

[img]http://www.ericmark.talktalk.net/pictures/two-way-real.bmp[/img] If it works this is diagram of standard two way system. Again next if it works this shows a standard system [img]http://www.ericmark.talktalk.net/lights.bmp[/img] and finally just in case this one shows the intermediate switch [img]http://www.ericmark.talktalk.net/pictures/two-way-plus-inter.bmp[/img] these are not as taught at school and it does confuse people as a result. The method is selected because it means you have not connections other than to the switch. It takes into account you are using cables not individual wires you can see rings I have drawn around the cables. If that is the images work. Pre-view shows the link rather than picture.

Many many years ago I wrote the website and made the pictures [url]http://www.ericmark.talktalk.net/twoway.html[/url] but attempts to show them on this site often seems to fail. Works with every other forum just this one odd one out. Also every other forum allows me to see as soon as posted so I can correct. With this site if I do make an error often a couple of days before I see it and can correct.

phileaston
Labourer
Labourer

by phileaston » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:19 am

Both white standard switches have their own switch but the new ones do have a molded line through to I presume to separate each switch.... but that shouldn't make any difference or does it?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:58 pm

No it should do the same job. I got some very large switches really designed for outside for my disabled mother idea easy to find switch from in the bed.

The markings were silly. I had to revert to using a meter to ID the terminals. In the main you find single C top connects to L! and L2 at bottom or reverse so you can normally work it out.

Try a forum which allows pictures and lets the posts be seen before checked. It does mean you may get some flack saying how you should not DIY but does speed it all up.

This is a very friendly forum but slow to get answers and picky on pictures.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:23 pm