problems with upstairs sockets ? radial main?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lazy ####
Labourer
Labourer

problems with upstairs sockets ? radial main?

by lazy #### » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 pm

hi everyone bought house from grandad few years ago ,only one socket per room on radial circuits,have been adding new sockets when decorating each room ever since,changed downstairs radial circuit to a ring main circuit by crawling about under the floor boards good job done .the problem with upstairs is only one wire goes up from fuse box and it seems to spur off in to every room i am needing 2 more sockets in bedroom and 1 socket spur to wall for tv on wall, if i can link all the sockets together in 1 continuous flow like a ring main and then connect the last socket to the fuse box at a later date (as it has to pass through the kitchen ceiling back to fuse box to complete the circuit) and we have just finished the kitchen . knew i should of done upstairs first damn . will this work hope you can help thanks.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:18 pm

Hi L,
as long as you keep fuse/mcb rating to no more than 20A in meantime then OK to do as long radial, upgrading to 32A when other end connected.
regards SPARX

lazy ####
Labourer
Labourer

by lazy #### » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:56 pm

thanks sparks, how should i end the circuit on the landing i am wanting to get the wires in the floor ready so when i come to join up later i dont have to pull up floorboards again in bedroom,after the last wall mounted socket i was thinking of running cable through bedroom to the landing and then doing 1 of of 2 options :
1 / run the wire in ready and put a junction box on end
2 / run the wire in and put an old single socket on end for time being
would appreciate your advice thanks again.
oh also how do i know that i have not gone over 20 A cheers.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:10 am