Problems With Water Running Underneath Conservatory
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mcfc4heatons
Labourer
Labourer

Problems With Water Running Underneath Conservatory

by mcfc4heatons » Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:28 pm

Looking for some advise please, had decking removed at rear of house to reveal hole at bottom of conservatory wall. Water is running under the conservatory when it rains.

The conservatory does have a manhole/grid underneath it which has access/capped. Should I be worried about water running down there under the conservatory, should I block the hole off, will the water readily find its way to the drains anyway or could it cause damage?

B4Less
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Problems With Water Running Underneath Conservatory

by B4Less » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:40 am

Hi,

Yes this is an issue and I would suggest getting in a builder to examine in more detail. The issue here is that over time the water making its way through that gap could cause rising damp and also more importantly undermine your existing foundations.

When the water flows the way in which you have described it can wash away the soil around the concrete and from underneath your concrete foundation. This could cause subsidence. It may take along time for this to happen but maybe you dont know how long that gap is there and some damage has already been done.

Also having water running under a concrete floor like that could cause other health issues over a significantly long time. With damp air rising from the floor into the dwelling. This may still even happen if you have a DPM in your floor but is less likely.

Cutting a long story short this needs to be rectified as soon as possible to avoid any further issues arising.

Regards, Build4Less

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:48 am