Property Development Rights Taken away after Adding Garage Doors
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

yanad
Labourer
Labourer

Property Development Rights Taken away after Adding Garage Doors

by yanad » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:22 pm

I believe my property development rights are being taken away from me. I bought a house with a 3 wall structure across my garden that is classed as a carport/garage (or neither as garage has to have a door but it doesn’t while carport has to have 2 openings but it only has one). I wanted to insert a double door similar to ones used in the neighbourhood on a structure to use it as a secure storage space. I had local council getting involved telling me I have to apply for a planning permission as it will be a material alteration to the external appearance. From the researched information, it states on planning portal that i do not need a planning permission to insert new doors that are of a similar appearance to those used in the construction of the house. It also states that as long as I am not altering structure and not extending the place my project falls under my development rights. I have checked and i do not live in a conservation area and my development rights have not been removed. Local council said that there is nothing stating I cant put up a door, I do have restrictions on putting windows or dorma doors but no other types of doors are restricted. However, despite all that, they want me to apply for planning permission due to me putting up a door will materially alter the appearance....But then any of my developments rights can be twisted by the council. I feel Local council is unlawfully limiting my development rights and want a fee from me when I am confident what I am proposing is within my rights. Its like they created a loophole to overrule my development rights. Please help!