Protective Film Left on Shower Tray and Siliconed - Will This Cause Problems?
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fpmc123
Apprentice
Apprentice

Protective Film Left on Shower Tray and Siliconed - Will This Cause Problems?

by fpmc123 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:15 pm

I recently had tiles removed from shower alcove and a new kudos shower tray fitted. I have just noticed that the plumber has left the protective film all over the tray yet siliconed around the bottom edge of the walls (plaster) onto the shower tray film. Cannot understand why the film wasn't removed before siliconing. Is this going to cause a problem removing it now before the tiling? Where plumber has removed the old tray with upstands an inch or two of the boarded walls had to be cut away, the new tray doesn't appear to have upstands but he has filled gap down to tray with plaster. I have to get walls waterproofed before tiling but am wondering if should just have the old skimmed boarded walls pulled out, take the film off, re-board with tile backer boards and silicone - or is that going too far? Should I fix a strip upstand or will the tiles be more than enough?I chose a plumber who has his own bathroom showroom and fitting business so maybe I'm worrying over nothing but even the kudos installation instructions say to remove film before fixing. Any advice gratefully received (paid a fortune to have it installed but not approachable to ask these questions).

DIYDoctor2
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Protective Film Left on Shower Tray and Siliconed - Will This Cause Problems?

by DIYDoctor2 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:21 pm

We recommend that you do remove the film before sealing because otherwise the joint is not waterproof.

It's disappointing your installer is not open to discussing this issue - Really we would recommend that you get them to come back and do it properly.

However if you really don't want to pursue it with them, you can take the protective cover off now and it will most likely remove the silicone, so just reapply it to the joint before you tile. If the silicone doesn't come off fully just remove what is left.

Tiles that are correctly grouted form a waterproof surface, so you shouldn't need to apply aquaboard, however if you are not confident in your ability to tile effectively you can use a tanking system like Aquaseal - see the product and a video on how to use it in our Online Store https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-superstore/aquaseal-wet-room-system-kit-4-5sq-metre.html

One thing that is worth noting is that shower trays should be sealed to the wall, but don't use sealant at the bottom of your tiles, that way if any moisture does get between the tile and the wall it can run out into the shower tray at the bottom. See our DIY Project on Fitting a Shower tray https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/showertray.htm

fpmc123
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Protective Film Left on Shower Tray and Siliconed - Will This Cause Problems?

by fpmc123 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:49 am

Thank you, a very angry plumber finally came back to remove and silicone the tray this time to the walls, he said he shouldn't have to do it (amongst other things). It was as if we were being unreasonable and thick. Anyway I can see he has cut the top of the tray in several places where he cut away the plastic and old silicone, not deep but visible marks. I'm assuming/hoping this won't be a problem as the tiling should come out over them. I can still see little frayed bits of plastic film under some of the silicone, shows a real lack of care again but will this be ok?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:19 am

The acrylic is fairly thick so the marks would need to be over 5mm deep before it would be a problem with the tray.

Whether the film left in place will be a problem, l can't be sure without seeing it, but it there will be a definite Seal between the tiles and tray, then that should be enough .

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:44 am