DIY Doctor

ptoblem kitchen

Postby joe2012 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:28 pm

I am installing a new kitchen and want toinstall free standing dishwasher and small fridge either side of the sink. Getting power in is a bit of a problem, There are 4 existing double 13a sockets in the room. Only 1 has two 2.5mm cables connected, I assume mains in and a spur out. The other 3 double sockets have only 1 2.5 cable its does not seem to be either a ring or radial main. All 4 sockets are connected back to the CU, into a 30amp fuse.

Can anyone tell me whats going on, and how to get safe power to my appliances
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:17 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:20 am

In many houses over the years DIY has caused some non compliant and in some cases dangerous wiring which is why an electrical installation report is completed each time there is a change of occupant to identify any problems.

The only way to be sure is to ring out all circuits. Measuring the loop impedance does give an indication as to what is going on. I have looked at readings for a load of sockets in the past and some readings make one realise some thing is wrong but it's only a guide taking off the sockets and ringing out is only sure way.

I have found junction boxes behind cupboards and even fuse connection units with a cupboard on top. But age is a good indicator of what to look for.

Newer houses often have to parallel cables (not strictly a ring) feeding a 20A grid switch and from that a series of radials feeding fridge, washer and other semi-fixed appliances. It is common to find rings broken and sometimes one just can't find the break and not uncommon to change the 32A fuse/MCB for a 25A so overload is avoided.

But you have a major problem in the fact you say "Fuse" which to me means it's unlikely you have any 30mA RCD's fitted. Although old sockets and cable can remain any new sockets or cable must either be RCD protected or labelled and special cable. Coupled with restrictions on working in kitchens this means likely you will need a scheme registered electrician and I would let him advise as to best options.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2533
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Llanfair Caereinion, Mid Wales.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics