Public Male Toilet and Issue With Lack of Ventilation Causing Odours
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
beaton559
Labourer
Labourer

Public Male Toilet and Issue With Lack of Ventilation Causing Odours

by beaton559 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:55 am

HI
i have a dilemma with a males public toilet in the i look after.
the problem is there is an ongoing smell of urine within this room, i have changed plus cleaned pipe work and traps as well as had new flooring laid. i had some one in looking at the ventilation as i heard that the smells could be due to poor supply and extract to the room.
the volume of the room is 928ft3 and according to the supplier of the extract fan the air change rat at the minute is 12 - 16 ac/ph but it was noted that the only supply to the room is a low level loovered grill on the bottom of the door which is 500 x 300 which leads to an internal corridor.
my question is could this be causing the fowl smell of the toilets and if a mechanical supply bringing in a fresh air source from out side would help clear it up.
Thanks

thedoctor

Re: Public Male Toilet and Issue With Lack of Ventilation Causing Odours

by thedoctor » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:18 am

There is no doubt that an incoming supply of fresh air would help. An extractor fan will drag air out of the room but without fresh air coming in at some point it does not take long for the air in a room to turn stale. Even opening windows once or twice a day is sufficient to change the air in a room which might help.

beaton559
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Public Male Toilet and Issue With Lack of Ventilation Causing Odours

by beaton559 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:09 am

these toilets are situated sort of in the center of a building on the second floor and has no windows or natural fresh air supply just a Grill going on to a IT corridor. the only way i could think is by putting in a supply fan and run it from the roof as there is a dry riser which runs up the back of the urinal panels.
thansk

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1