Pump installed, but shower does not work!
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sezkaya
Labourer
Labourer

Pump installed, but shower does not work!

by sezkaya » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:57 am

A plumber has installed Grundfos STR 1.5 C twin power. As soon as the job was done, I've realised a problem in the shower... I have a fix-head shower, and it did not work unless I kick in the pump using the sink in the bathroom.. It is really frustrating because each time you need to have a shower you will have to open the sink tap, then shower and close the sink tap again. Having paid so much money to plumber for a wrong pump, he recommended to change the pump with a negative pump, because shower head is above the tank level. It comes with an additional £200 difference on pump price he says which I do disagree....

In the meantime, I thought of something else, which I need your help of... I always wanted to change the fixed shower head to a combined one; i.e. flexible that you can move it around, and also fix it to the wall. I wonder whether it makes sense to buy a flexble shower head and replace the fixed one, so that when i lower the outlet, pump can kick in. Is this possible?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:18 pm

No normal pump is going to work on a system where the shower head is higher than the water level in the header tank as they rely on sensing a small flow of water to switch the pump on. He is right in saying you need a negative head pump as an ordinary one may not have worked at all.

To work the pump needs to be switched manually or the header tank needs raising.

If the shower valve is surface mounted, and you can remove the fixed head pipework then you should be able to replace it with the flexible kit you mention. If the valve is buried in the wall it is a question of how to access the pipework.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:39 pm

good morning
did this plumber come and survey the work required prior to installing the pump,if so the responsibilty lies with him to replace at his own cost
did you or he test the pump before handing over any money?
bob

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:26 pm

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

sezkaya
Labourer
Labourer

by sezkaya » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:18 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I have paid the plumber, and realised the problem afterwards... :( He is now of course reluctant to come and redo the job, and therefore quoted me for £200 extra for the negative pump on top of what I already paid.

In fact, I am happy with this pump, because it is not noisy and it does not occupy alot of space in the cupboard. My main problem now became to be reducing the level of the shower head. It is a fixed shower head, and I wonder if I reduce the level of outlet, and turn the tap on, would this trigger the pump? Then, like Bob said above, I will need to change the piping etc. Or can I just change the fixed head with a flexible one without changing piping?

many thanks for your help.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:44 am